Photo by fdecomite
Recently rebranded as the Africa Tourism Association, ATA is the leading global trade association promoting travel and tourism to Africa and strengthening intra-Africa partnerships.
Established in 1975, ATA serves both the public and private sectors of the international travel and tourism industry. ATA membership is comprised of African governments, their tourism ministers, tourism bureaus and boards, airlines, cruise lines, hotels, resorts, front-line travel sellers and providers, tour operators and travel agents, and affiliate industries. ATA partners with the African Union Commission (AU) to promote the sustainable development of tourism to and across Africa. ATA’s annual events in Africa and the United States bring together industry leaders to shape Africa’s tourism agenda.
Since the signing of an MoU with the African Union Commission in 2010, ATA has partnered with the AUC to promote the sustainable development of tourism to and across Africa and to broaden the scope of public-private partnerships for tourism across a wide array of issues and sectors.
• Tourism drives economic growth and creates jobs;
• Tourism can create opportunities for peace, cultural exchange, environmental preservation and global understanding;
• Tourism changes perceptions;
• Tourism involves a wide range of sectors and stakeholders;
• Tourism promotes positive news on Africa;
• A strong tourism industry requires public-private partnerships.
• Advocate for Africa as a global travel destination;
• Showcase Destination Africa’s diverse travel products and services;
• Market and promote Destination Africa;
• Organize industry business-to-business programs in Africa and the USA;
• Achieve greater coordination among tourism ministers and the industry;
• Offer continuing education, professional development and learning opportunities;
• Increase business through exposure, networking and referrals;
• Bring public and private stakeholders together to discuss issues of common interest;
• Cooperate with other organizations interested in tourism and Africa;
• Conduct research with partner organizations.
ATA is governed by an International Board of Directors and managed by an Executive Director.
ATA is registered as a 501(c)6 non-profit trade association in the USA, with headquarters in New York and chapters around the world.